Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'm apparently addicted to HGTV

Over the weekend, my son and I were watching some show on HGTV where they come in and organize a messy room in some family’s house and turn it into a functional living/sleeping/dining place that will no doubt be trashed again in a few short months. This particular family had three kids between the ages of six and ten, and the kids had toys and games all over the house. So the parents wanted to reclaim their house by renovating a room in their basement – an unused, cluttered family room with fake wood paneling and poor lighting.

Then they showed the designers’ plans for the space – paint the walls white, add some primary color accents to brighten it up, etc. Then for organization, they added some shelves with brightly colored bins and a coffee table contraption to which they added plexiglass sides for the display of artwork they commissioned from the kids.

While they were working on the room, the people from the show interviewed the little tykes on why they didn’t use the basement, despite the fact that it (like the rest of the house) was full of toys. The girls said it was dark and spooky. The oldest kid, a little boy around ten years old, said, “It creeps me out.”

At this point, my son looked at me and said, “Fast forward to five years from now, they’ll just have to come back and do it again. This kid will be sitting in the basement, wearing eyeliner and black nail polish, looking around at the pictures of Barney on the wall and saying, ‘It creeps me out.’”

You may not find him charming, but my kid cracks me up. Sometimes enough that I choke on my apple juice and cough it all over the new slipcover on our chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment