Monday, November 12, 2007

Feels just like I'm walking on crumpled trash

My last three shifts at the restaurant have been with our general manager as the closer. This is never fun. Our GM is an older, grumpy white dude with no sense of humor who sucks what little joy we have at work right out of the occasion.

Our GM is obsessed with the tidiness of the restaurant. Not with the cleanliness, which would make sense because, you know, we serve food to people. No, our GM is obsessed with things being neat and orderly at all times. He walks up and down the server aisle moving trays into neat little piles and organizing stacks of napkins. I’m not kidding. But his biggest obsession seams to be the floor.

Let me just say that we sweep when there’s down time. And if one of us spills something or drops a dish, we immediately clean it up. We do this because it makes sense – no matter how busy we are, no matter how much a table is demanding bread service right that moment, we know that we cannot leave liquids or broken porcelain on the floor. It’s a safety issue. Sometimes a health code issue. But occasionally, as we are rushing through the server aisle with our trays, we drop things – straw wrappers, grill tickets, sugar packets, etc.

The GM gets irritated by this. So irritated that even during our busiest rushes, his top priority is finding someone to sweep the server aisle. Should we run some of the trays in the window before the food gets cold and we have to replate it? No, we should sweep up straw wrappers. Should we go greet the three tables the airheaded hostess just sat in our section at once? No, we should pick up those two packets of Equal that spilled out of the box.

His obsession with a tidy floor has become a joke, and no longer do any of us respond to his requests for “somebody to take a broom through here” when we have hungry, thirsty guests on the floor. It probably has something to do with the fact that just a few weeks ago, he shoved a broom in my direction despite the fact that I was already carrying a tray full of drinks and asked me to sweep the floor, and I told him, “I would, but my guests need me to do something for them. And they’re paying me more than you are.”

I don’t know why he hasn’t fired me yet.

So Friday night, realizing that none of us cared about his tidy floor, he took the broom and dustpan and swept it himself. Not without grumbling of course.

“You’re walking on trash, people!” he said, as he swept up a grill ticket. “Do you walk on trash at home? Is this how you people live?”

Most everybody ignored him or just plain didn’t hear him, as the restaurant was full of guests and we were on an hour wait, but I happened to be standing near him, making sweet tea so I could take some to my tables.

“Do you walk on trash at home?” he said to me. He even said my name. Do you walk on trash at home, dhf? As if our little question and answer would be an example for all other servers. Did you hear that? Dhf doesn't walk on trash at home. Maybe we should sweep up these crumpled napkins.

“No,” I told him. “I don't walk on trash. But I also don’t wait tables at my house, so it’s kind of a wash.”

I'm very disappointed in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment