Monday, November 26, 2007

Fox News' number one rated sitcom

Last Wednesday night I was able to catch Countdown with Keith Olbermann, and he was discussing the recent accusations by Scott McClellan with Ambassador Joe Wilson. I was fairly excited to see that it was being discussed on television at all, seeing how so many of this administration’s deceits are discovered, get a one paragraph write-up on internet news sites, and are quickly pushed aside for more interesting and relevant stories on televised news. (The administration is making fake news casts and sending them out to local stations? Propaganda? No, let’s go with this one about Britney flashing her junk).

Of course, the glee was short-lived as I flipped to CNN and Fox News. CNN was running an in-depth story about some celebrity dance competition. On Fox, it was Hannity & Colmes recapping the day’s top stories. And apparently, there was only one top story and it was certainly not the new evidence that the investigation into possible treason in the White House was not as aggressive as the media had been led to believe. No, the top story on Fox was the re-arrest of three suspects in the disappearance of a pretty white girl in 2005. Coincidentally, the same time as the grand jury investigations into possible treason. Not so coincidentally, Fox favored the disappearance over the investigation then too.

I wasn’t surprised that Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes wouldn’t be covering the same story as that dirty liberal Keith Olbermann, but I was at least hoping they would. I wanted to see some squirmage. I wanted to watch someone in the 24% minority come on and defend their president.

There were no sitcoms on, and I needed a laugh.

And you know what? I got one. While Olbermann was on commercial break after interviewing Wilson and Constitutional Law expert Jonathan Turley, I flipped back over to Fox where they were discussing the arrest with Mark Fuhrman (ahem!) and some expert – I would give you the name and a link, but the transcript isn’t posted on Lexis-Nexis yet and the clip isn’t available on the Fox news site, and yes, I do fear that my computer may be infected now that I have even logged on to the site – yikes!

This forensic expert was responding to a question about the new break in the case. He talked about how despite the suspects having conspired to cover up what actually happened to the missing white girl, over time their stories have changed. And he talked about how that is often the case when a group of people have committed a crime and are trying to cover it up, that the lie deteriorates and becomes harder to keep up because there is a pressure for facts to come to the surface and people can only dance around the truth for so long before they need to let it out.

I wish I could find the transcript of this because it was brilliant. And by brilliant, I mean that word for word what he said could have supported the story on Olbermann, if you only changed the names.

No comments:

Post a Comment