Saturday, August 06, 2011

I Met a Young Girl

This song came up in my sister's ipod rotation last night or the night before and we both had to stop and sing along. My nephew had no idea what the song was, but as usual, implored me to stop butchering it. I did not acquiesce. Music is for singing. Joyfully. Let others make the noise joyful.

I really can't sing.

I also really don't care.

Anyway, 7-Second Rule coming soon . . . umm, this song came on and it just made us both stop. This was my introduction to Edie Brickell and my adult introduction to Dylan and folk music and the poetic beauty of those protest songs.

When the movie starring that guy from Top Gun came out, I was in the second month of my delayed enlistment into the Air National Guard. I was a senior in high school, set to enter basic training a month after graduation. The Berlin Wall had fallen. That other big meanie was about to fall; there was no reason not be in the military. We had no threat. Sure, my cousin was always getting involved in some third-world skirmish, but he was some special security detail. I was going to fix airplanes. At worst, I would be stuck on a highly guarded air base in some friendly third-world country. And in exchange there would be college money.

7 seconds . . .

I love this song. I knew this version first, so it will always hold a special place with me.






Godspeed to the men and women serving around the world. Thank you for your courage and sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment